Online Graduate Certificate Program in Postsecondary Disability Services
A 12-Credit Online Graduate Certificate in Postsecondary Disability Services
Looking for additional training to advance in the field of disability services? Interested in taking on leadership responsibilities? Already work in, or aspire to work in a college or university office that advocates for students with disabilities?
This 12-credit online asynchronous graduate certificate program may be exactly what you're looking for. The program's four courses, which includes a Practicum, are offered in a sequence over a period of 10 months. So when you enroll, you'll be part of a cohort of classmates who proceed through the program as a group. The first course is offered in the fall, with the final Practicum completed in the following summer semester.
Course highlights include:
- An introduction to disability services in postsecondary education, with a specific focus on providing equal educational access for students with disabilities in the college or university setting.
- A historical perspective concerning access in higher education, the complexities of disability documentation, accommodations, learning strategies, high stakes testing, and the management of services with a variety of resources.
- An examination of relevant legislation and recommended practices related to person-centered transition planning for students with disabilities in post-school and adult life, including postsecondary education, employment, community participation, and independent living.
- An introduction to the world of assistive technology in higher education for students with disabilities, including: a historical perspective of assistive technology; examples of assistive hardware, software, and mobile devices through specific disabilities; and tools to advocate for AT devices at your campus, no matter its financial capability.
- The final Practicum course (EPSY 5092), which emphasizes the implementation and application of theory in the student’s area of specialization.
- The opportunity to attend the Postsecondary Disability Training Institute 4-day annual conference.
We are currently accepting applications for Fall 2024. The application deadline is Friday, June 21, 11:59 p.m. EST. Apply now to avoid last minute processing delays.